1. God set apart Abraham to start a special nation (Zech 2:8; 13:1).
2. The Jews were to spread God’s word.
Deut 4:5-8 See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the LORD my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.” What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today? (see also Deuteronomy 6:4-9)
3. They were also to produce the Messiah.
Rom 9:5 Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.
4. They are unconditionally His special people for all eternity ( Jeremiah 25:11-13).
Gen 15:6 Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
Gen 15:12 As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and a thick and dreadful darkness came over him.
5. First the Jews went into Egypt because of disobedience, then He gave them the law
6. When they continued to fail to obey He sent them into the Babylonian captivity, prophesied to last for 70 years.
Jer 25:11-12 This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years. “But when the seventy years are fulfilled, I will punish the king of Babylon and his nation, the land of the Babylonians, for their guilt,” declares the LORD, “and will make it desolate forever.
Jer 29:10 This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon , I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.