GENERAL SIGNS (MATTHEW 24:4-14) (“Labor Pains Begin” Mt 24:8)
1. DECEPTION 6. MARTYRDOM
2. WARS 7. FALSE PROPHETS
3. FAMINES 8. LAWLESSNESS
4. EPIDEMICS 9. LOSS OF LOVE
5. EARTHQUAKES 10. EVANGELISM
6. The stage was set in 1914-1918 when the nation was planted (fig tree of Mt 24:32-34). Israel grew into a full-grown fig tree (symbol of Israel) capable of budding in 1948 (fulfilling Ezekiel 37:1-8). The generation that sees this will not pass away (Mt 24:32-34) until Jesus returns (some from the generation that saw the early birth pains, being 1948 or even 1967, will see Jesus come back before dying).
Matt 24:32-34 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
7. The main seven sins of the tribulation show how close we are to them today.
Rev 9:20-21 The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshipping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood-idols that cannot see or hear or walk. Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts.
These are: 1. Rebellion against God (‘did not repent”) 5. Sorceries (drugs)
2. Worship of demons 6. Sexual immorality 3. Idolatry 7. Thefts
8. Paul’s list of signs of the last days shows how close we are.
2 Tim 3:1-7 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God- 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. 6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.
These are: 1. Selfish: “lovers of themselves” 10. Truce breakers & false accusers
2. Covetousness: “lovers of money” 11. Incontinent (without self-control)
3. Boasters, proud 12. Fierce
4. Blasphemers 13. Despisers
5. Disobedient to parents 14. Traitors
6. Rebellion 15. Heady and reckless
7. Unthankful 16. High-minded (arrogant, proud)
8. Unholy 17. Lovers of pleasure
9. Without natural affection 18. No power with God