1. Treacherous Waters Ahead!
2. IS TITHING FOR THE CHURCH?What Does The Bible Say About Christian Giving?
3. IS TITHING FOR THE CHURCH?What Does The Bible Say About Christian Giving?AnsweringQuestionsAboutChristianGiving
4. IS THERE A PRESCRIBED WAY? God has PrescribedWays; 1Ch 15:13 It wasbecause you, the Levites,did not bring it up the firsttime that the LORD ourGod broke out in angeragainst us. We did notenquire of him about howto do it in the prescribedway.”
5. IS THERE A PRESCRIBED O.T. WAY? Tithing Tithing 10% is good, and is taught by muchof Christianity. It is a good , plain, simple way to teach newbelievers. It is a great , plain, simple way to teach ourkids.
6. JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER, SR., John D. Rockefeller, Sr., was one of our nations firstbillionaires. He was also a devout Baptist. He believed that the ability to make money was a gift fromGod to be developed and used to the best of ones ability andfor the good of mankind. He practiced what he preached. He gave away more than $555 million during his lifetime. He gave a $1 million gift to the Annuity Board of the SouthernBaptist Convention to get the Annuity Board started. But Rockefeller did not wait until he became rich to becomegenerous. He gave a tithe of all he had from the time of his conversion. He believed he was a steward of all he had.
7. He taught his family that what they inherited was theirs on aservice basis. And, that money brought a tremendous responsibility as wellas a great opportunity. David Rockefeller said that when he was seven years old hereceived an allowance of 50 cents a week. He was taught to save five cents and that the other five centsbelonged to the Lord — it was his tithe to God. He said, “Our parents made us feel, from an early age, thatwe had to contribute, not just take.” Nelson Rockefeller said that his fathers creed was, “Every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.” Dr Harold L. White
8. TITHING 10%? Tithing has brought great prosperity to JW‟s& MormonsLDS Church Tithing SlipSt. Ignatius, Martyr CatholicChurch
9. BUT WAS O.T. TITHING 10%? O.T. tithing totaled between 23-30%, Lev 5:11 …sin offering. Lev 14:21…guilt offering…(waved to make atonement forhim), together… grain offering.. Lev 14:22 … a burnt offering. Num 5:15 … a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder offering todraw attention to guilt. Num 15:3 …offerings made by fire…whether burnt offerings orsacrifices, for special vows or freewill offerings or festivalofferings– Ex 23:19 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the houseof the LORD… Ne 12:44 …contributions, firstfruits and tithes…. Lev 27:30 , Num 18:21 ,Deut 14:28
10. THE LEVITES TITHED THEIR TITHES Num 18:25-29 The Lord said to Moses, 26 “Speak tothe Levites and say to them: When you receive fromthe Israelites the tithe I give you as your inheritance,you must present a tenth of that tithe as theLords offering. 27 Your offering will be reckoned toyou as grain from the threshing floor or juice from thewinepress. 28 In this way you also will present anoffering to the Lord from all the tithes you receivefrom the Israelites. From these tithes you must givethe Lords portion to Aaron the priest. 29 You mustpresent as the Lords portion the best and holiest partof everything given to you.
11. N.T. CHURCH TITHING 10%? It‟s proponents go to 2 passages;
12. N.T. CHURCH TITHING 10%? Mal 3:8-10 “Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, How do we rob you? “In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse — thewhole nation of you — because you are robbing me. 10Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there maybe food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LordAlmighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgatesof heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will nothave room enough for it. Yet seldom do they read on; Mal 3:12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, foryours will be a delightful land,” says the Lord Almighty.
13. N.T. CHURCH TITHING 10%? It‟s proponents go to; Gen 14:20 And blessed be God Most High,who delivered your enemies into your hand.“ Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything. This is pre-Moses Law, as was; Gen 4:3 In the course of time Cain broughtsome of the fruits of the soil as an offering tothe Lord.
14. DON’T SLIP BACK UNDER THE LAW!
15. DON’T SLIP BACK UNDER THE LAW! Rom 8:2 because through Christ Jesus thelaw of the Spirit of life set me free from thelaw of sin and death. James 2:10 For whoever keeps the wholelaw and yet stumbles at just one point isguilty of breaking all of it. Acts 15:10 Now then, why do you try to testGod by putting on the necks of the disciplesa yoke that neither we nor our fathers havebeen able to bear?
16. IN ACTS 15 Acts 15:5-11 Then some of the believers who belongedto the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “TheGentiles must be circumcised and required to obey thelaw of Moses.” 6 The apostles and elders met to considerthis question. 7 After much discussion, Peter got up andaddressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time agoGod made a choice among you that the Gentiles mighthear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.8 God, who knows the heart, showed that he acceptedthem by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did tous. 9 He made no distinction between us and them, for hepurified their hearts by faith. 10 Now then, why do you tryto test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yokethat neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our LordJesus that we are saved, just as they are.”
17. WHAT WAS DECIDED IN ACTS 15 Acts 15:19-21 “It is myjudgment, therefore, that we should not makeit difficult for the Gentiles who are turning toGod. 20 Instead we should write tothem, telling them to abstain from foodpolluted by idols, from sexualimmorality, from the meat of strangledanimals and from blood. 21 For Moses hasbeen preached in every city from the earliesttimes and is read in the synagogues onevery Sabbath.”
18. N.T. LAW KEEPING? Keep “the law of Christ”; Gal 6:2-5 Carry eachothers burdens, and in thisway you will fulfill the lawof Christ. 3 If anyone thinkshe is something when he isnothing, he deceiveshimself. 4 Each one shouldtest his own actions. Thenhe can take pride inhimself, without comparinghimself to somebody else, 5for each one should carryhis own load.Is Tithing “The Lord’sLaw?
19. N.T. LAW KEEPING 9 of the 10 Commandments are repeated in theN.T. as commandments for the church. No mention of keeping the Sabbath No N.T. commandments to tithe No N.T. use of “tithe” in NIV, 2 in NKJV, &NASU, both use are negative about Phariseesas hypocrites No N.T. use of “tithing” in NIV, NKJV, & NASU
20. SO, WHAT DOES THE N.T. TEACH? Do you want thesummary version? Jesus paid it all. Amen!
21. SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT But, following Christ costs everything!
22. FOLLOWING CHRIST COSTS EVERYTHING! Luke 14:25-35 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus,and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to meand does not hate his father and mother, his wife andchildren, his brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life— he cannot be my disciple. 27 And anyone who doesnot carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. 28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will henot first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he hasenough money to complete it? 29 For if he lays thefoundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who seesit will ridicule him, 30 saying, This fellow began to buildand was not able to finish.
23. FOLLOWING CHRIST COSTS EVERYTHING! 31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war againstanother king. Will he not first sit down and considerwhether he is able with ten thousand men to opposethe one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32If he is not able, he will send a delegation while theother is still a long way off and will ask for terms ofpeace. 33 In the same way, any of you who does notgive up everything he has cannot be my disciple. 34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can itbe made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil norfor the manure pile; it is thrown out. “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
24. FOLLOWING CHRIST COSTS EVERYTHING! Luke 18:18-22 A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, whatmust I do to inherit eternal life?” 19 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one isgood — except God alone. 20 You know the commandments:Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do notgive false testimony, honor your father and mother.” 21 “All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said. 22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack onething. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and youwill have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
25. IS THERE A PRESCRIBED N.T. WAY Yes! But first let‟s look at some abuses.
26. CRITICS COMMENTS ON ATM IN CHURCH Not so you can get money on theway out the door so everyone cango to the typical after-church lunch.No, no, this is just in case you forgotcash for the donation plate…. This is the end of days for veiledcapitalism…a huge financialinstitution. …heres the real estate part… What organization owns the mostland in the world (give or take a fewacres) – churches…Catholicchurch… Biggest donations – charities orchurches? Churches. Free time on the airwaves – TV andRadio? Churches.
27. FUND RAISING SCAMS Give To Get Seed Money Pledge-A-Thons Threats of Ministry Collapse Indulgences RCC is worlds wealthiest entity. J.J. TetzelAD 1517, “When a coin in the coffer rings, asoul from purgatory springs.”
28. PLEDGES Pledges can be a form of arm twisting. Matt 5:33-37 “Again, you have heard that it was saidto the people long ago, Do not break your oath, butkeep the oaths you have made to the Lord. 34 But Itell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it isGods throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool;or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot makeeven one hair white or black. 37 Simply let your Yesbe Yes, and your No, No; anything beyond thiscomes from the evil one.
29. PLEDGES Pledges can be a form of arm twisting. James 5:12 Above all, my brothers, do notswear — not by heaven or by earth or byanything else. Let your “Yes” be yes, andyour “No,” no, or you will be condemned.
30. WHAT DOES N.T. TEACH? 1 Cor 16:1-4 Now about the collection forGods people: Do what I told the Galatianchurches to do. 2 On the first day of everyweek, each one of you should set aside a sumof money in keeping with his income, saving itup, so that when I come no collections will haveto be made. 3 Then, when I arrive, I will giveletters of introduction to the men you approveand send them with your gift to Jerusalem. 4 Ifit seems advisable for me to go also, they willaccompany me.
31. WHAT DOES N.T. TEACH? Phil 4:14-19 Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of youracquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, notone church shared with me in the matter of giving andreceiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was inThessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was inneed. 17 Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for whatmay be credited to your account. 18 I have received fullpayment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I havereceived from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are afragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19And my God will meet all your needs according to his gloriousriches in Christ Jesus. Notice that it says according not “out of.”
32. HOW BIG IS GOD’S SHOVEL? The story is told of a farmer who was known for his generous giving, andwhose friends could not understand how he could give so much and yetremain so prosperous.One day a friend said: “We cant understand it. You give far more than any ofthe rest of us, and yet youalways seem to have more to give.“ “Thats easy to explain,” the farmer said.”I keep shoveling into Godsbin, and God keeps shoveling backinto mine,and God has the bigger shovel.”Source: Peters Pearls,http://www.peterspearls.com.auIs tithing a “give to get”scheme?
33. GOD WILL SUPPLY WHAT WE NEED Phil 4:19 And myGod will meet all yourneeds according tohis glorious riches inChrist Jesus.
34. WE GIVE TO “SUPPLY WHAT THEY NEED”2 Cor 8:14-15 At thepresent time yourplenty will supply whatthey need, so that inturn their plenty willsupply what you need.Then there will beequality, 15 as it iswritten: “He whogathered much did nothave too much, and hewho gathered little didnot have too little.”
35. WHAT DOES N.T. TEACH? Acts 11:29 The disciples, each according to hisability, decided to provide help for the brothers living inJudea. Luke 16:10-11 “Whoever can be trusted with very littlecan also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonestwith very little will also be dishonest with much. So if youhave not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, whowill trust you with true riches? Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A goodmeasure, pressed down, shaken together and runningover, will be poured into your lap. For with the measureyou use, it will be measured to you.” Ro 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God‟smercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy andpleasing to God–this is your spiritual act of worship.
36. LET’S READ 2 COR. CHAPTER 8
37. LET’S READ2 COR. 9 Givecheerfully
38. HOLD EVERYTHING WITH AN OPEN HAND 1Ch 29:14 “But who am I [David] , and who are mypeople, that we should be able to give asgenerously as this? Everything comes from you[the Lord] , and we have given you only what comesfrom your hand. Ro 14:8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if wedie, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live ordie, we belong to the Lord. And, I would add, Everything we have belongsto the Lord
39. INVEST IN GOD’S WORK Partner in the Lord‟s work with your; TIME TREASURES, & TALENTS
40. INVEST IN GOD’S WORK You can take it with you!
41. INVEST IN GOD’S WORK You can take it with you! When we travel to a foreign country… Mt 6:19-20 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures onearth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thievesbreak in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasuresin heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, andwhere thieves do not break in and steal. Lu 19:13* So he called ten of his servants and gave themten minas. „Put this money to work,‟ he said, „until Icome back.‟ Lu 19:27 But those enemies of mine who did not wantme to be a king over them–bring them here and kill themin front of me.‟”
42. LUKE 16:1-14, DISHONEST MANAGER’Luke 16:8 “The master commended thedishonest manager because he had actedshrewdly. For the people of this world aremore shrewd in dealing with their own kindthan are the people of the light.
43. BIBLICAL INSIGHTS: FROM BIBLE.ORG (1) Luke 16:1-2: Life is a stewardship and we are each servants of Godwho will be held accountable for the way we have used our stewardship.Stop thinking like an owner. Start thinking like a manager. (2) Luke 16:1, 11-12: Are we squandering God‟s investment in our livesor investing it wisely for His glory? (3) Luke 16:10: Money, in terms of true value, is a “little”thing, however, faithfulness in little things (money) is an indicator of ourfaithfulness in big things (eternal values).4) Luke 16:11: The use of money is a test of our faithfulness. (5) Luke 16:11: Money does not constitute true riches. (6) Luke 16:12: Money is to be used wisely and faithfully as part of ourstewardship from God. (7) Luke 16:12: Money and its acquisition, if we are not careful, canbecome our master.
44. BIBLICAL CHALLENGE: SELF EXAMINATION (1) Am I a slave to money and earthly treasures? Is it possible that I amand do not even know it? We must choose between serving money andserving God. (2) Do I sacrifice Christ like qualities and responsibilities in my pursuitsfor earthly treasures? (a) Clear conscience; (b) Honesty, moralcharacter; (c) Friendships; (d) Family (wife, husband, children, in-laws);(e) Reputation; (f) God‟s glory, etc. (3) Do I care more about earthly treasures and money matters than I doabout my relationship with the Lord and the pursuit of the kingdom ofheaven? (a) Priorities; (b) Use of my time, how and where is it spent; (c)What do I think about most—money and what I think it will purchase orGod and my trust in Him? (4) Do I seek from money and earthly treasures(prestige, power, position, pleasure, possessions, etc.) those things thatGod alone can give? (a) Happiness, real joy; (b) Contentment; (c) Peaceof mind; (d) Security; (e) Purpose or meaning in life. If your answer is yes to any of the above questions, money has becomeyour master to some degree!
45. A FEW QUESTIONS WE GET AT V.B.F. Why don‟t we do fund raisers? Why don‟t we pass an offering plate?
46. WHY DON’T WE PASS AN OFFERING PLATE? The “body of Christ” has soiled it‟s garmentswith money grubbing tactics. It can put undue pressure on believers. It can be a stumblingblock to the unsaved. Because John tells usto receive no help fromthe pagans.3 John 1:7
47. RECEIVE NO HELP FROM THE PAGANS 3 John 5-8 Dear friend, you are faithful inwhat you are doing for the brothers, eventhough they are strangers to you. 6 Theyhave told the church about your love. You willdo well to send them on their way in amanner worthy of God. 7 It was for the sakeof the Name that they went out, receivingno help from the pagans. 8 We oughttherefore to show hospitality to such men sothat we may work together for the truth.
48. SUMMARY IN CLOSING Israel was a theocracy and their tithes & gifts also ran thegovernment. New Testament instructions are to; Give cheerfully (II Cor. 9:7) Pray about it Give consistently (I Cor. 16:2), Give privately (Matt 6:3-4) Give according to how much you have been given (I Cor. 16:2, IICor. 8:11) Don‟t give under compulsion (II Cor. 8:12). Be aware the tithe can be a snare to legalism Remember that ALL of our income is from the Lord. Christian giving, in the Spirit, stores up treasures. It is a, plain, simple way to teach our kids.
49. REMEMBER!The bestgift ever;
50. Luke 12:21 “This is how it will be with anyonewho stores up things for himself but is notrich toward God.” NIV
51. Keeplookingup for theBlessedHope!
52. THE TWENTY AND THE ONE A well-worn one-dollar bill and a similarly distressed twenty-dollar bill arrived ata Federal Reserve Bank to be retired. As they moved along the conveyor beltto be burned, they struck up a conversation. The twenty-dollar bill reminiscedabout its travels all over the country.”Ive had a pretty good life,” the twenty proclaimed. “Why Ive been to LasVegas and Atlantic City , the finest restaurants in New York , performances onBroadway, and even a cruise to the Caribbean “”Wow!” said the one-dollar bill. “Youve really had an exciting life!””So tell me,” says the twenty, “where have you been throughoutyour lifetime?”The one dollar bill replies, “Oh, Ive been to the Methodist Church , theBaptist Church , the Lutheran Church .”The twenty-dollar bill interrupts, “Whats a church?”
53. Life itself, every bit of health that weenjoy, every hour of liberty and freeenjoyment, the ability to see, to hear, tospeak, to think, and to imagine- all thiscomes from the hand of God. We show ourgratitude by giving back to Him a part of thatwhich He has given to us.
1. Treacherous Waters Ahead!